Today I’m giving you a quick tour of my favorite book!
The Satanic Bible is comprised of four books, each named for one of the Four Crown Princes of Hell and its corresponding element. From p. 57:
- Satan – (Hebrew) adversary, opposite, accuser, Lord of fire, the inferno, the south [associated with fire]
- Lucifer – (Roman) bringer of light, enlightenment, the air, the morning star, the east [associated with air]
- Belial – (Hebrew) without a master, baseness of the earth, independence, the north [associated with earth]
- Leviathan – (Hebrew) the serpent out of the deeps, the sea, the west [associated with water]
The Book of Satan – The Infernal Diatribe
The Book of Satan, the infernal diatribe, is the first opportunity “…for the Dark Prince to speak out in the same manner as the spokesmen of the Lord of the Righteous” (p. 29). LaVey states that, for too long, the Devil has been attacked relentlessly with no chance to respond, and “…now he feels it is time to shout back” (p. 29).
Even just the intro page of The Book of Satan is fiery! “Each verse is an inferno. Each word is a tongue of fire” (p. 29). LaVey emphasizes that a long, drawn out manifesto is not necessary. “…a small, slim diatribe will do” (p. 29). And that’s what we get – less than six pages.
The Book of Satan sets the tone and context for what is to come in the following pages. It wouldn’t be wise to skip to the remaining sections without completing this first short book in its entirety.
The Book of Lucifer – The Enlightenment
The Book of Lucifer, the bearer of light, provides enlightenment into what a Satanist actually believes and does. At 65 pages it is the second longest book in The Satanic Bible. This is the book that I generally reference and quote the most; it’s meant to dispel lies and set the record straight. “Entertaining as they might be, most stories and plays about Devil worship must be recognized as the complete absurdities that they are” (p. 39).
This book includes the following sections that explain Satanic practice and beliefs:
- Wanted! God Dead or Alive
- The God You Save May Be Yourself
- Some Evidence of a New Satanic Age
- Hell, The Devil, and How to Sell Your Soul
- Love and Hate
- Satanic Sex
- Not All Vampires Suck Blood!
- Indulgence…NOT Compulsion
- On the Choice of Human Sacrifice
- Life After Death Through Fulfillment of the Ego
- Religious Holidays
- The Black Mass
The Book of Belial – The Mastery of the Earth
“Belial means ‘without a master,’ and symbolizes true independence, self-sufficiency, and personal accomplishment” (p. 109).
This book is the primer for Satanic magic. It provides information about Satanic rituals; the three different types of ritual, important elements to consider when planning a ritual, and the actual breakdown of the ritual procedures. This is fascinating stuff. Even for a Satanist who doesn’t use rituals, this book provides an important background on “…real, hard-core, magical procedure – not mystical platitudes devoid of objective reason” (p. 109).
This book includes the following sections:
- The Theory and Practice of Satanic Magic (Definition and Purpose)
- The Three Types of Satanic Ritual
- The Ritual, or “Intellectual Decompression,” Chamber
- The Ingredients Used in the Performance of Satanic Magic
- The Satanic Ritual
The Book of Leviathan – The Raging Sea
This last book in The Satanic Bible provides the methods for performing the three different ritual types. It also includes the Enochian Keys and a brief introduction to the Enochian language.
Not to diminish it, but this book almost serves as an appendix for The Book of Belial. It’s a lot of reference information, as it provides the actual text to be used in Satanic ritual ceremonies. It also contains the list of Infernal Names and all nineteen Enochian Keys with their English translations.
There’s really no point in skipping to this section just to see what a Satanic ritual is like. There’s no context at all, and can easily be misunderstood without the information from the previous three books. Be a good student and just read the whole book from start to finish.
All quoted material comes directly from The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey.
Interpretations and opinions are my own; I am not a spokesperson for, nor endorsed by, the Church of Satan or any other entity.