I made this recently, it was so easy and pretty quick to throw together. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 2 acorn squash, halved with seeds removed
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced or chopped
- a handful of dried cranberries
- a handful of walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place squash face down in a pan with a little bit of water, this will help soften them up a little. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until soft and fork-tender.
- While squash bakes, make the filling – sauté celery until softened and fragrant (10ish minutes?), then add chickpeas. Cook until chickpeas dry out a little bit, or however long it takes to get to the consistency you like.
- Transfer filling to a large bowl. Add dried cranberries, walnuts, salt, pepper, and whatever seasoning you want, and combine. I stuck with salt and pepper, but next time I may try adding some cinnamon.
- When the squash is done baking, scoop the filling in (you’ll probably have extra – stuff it in a potato or something, boom there’s another meal). Bake 10-15 minutes, or longer if you want the filling to dry out more.
- When serving, top with some butter, olive oil, dressing, whatever you want.
Hope you enjoy! If you try this recipe out, please tag @hail.vegan or #hailvegan, I would love to see!